The Montessori Preschool – Kindergarten Program is a nurturing and stimulating environment for children ages 3 – 6 that promotes developmentally appropriate opportunities for learning and personal growth. Order, coordination, concentration, and independence form the cornerstone goals of this program. Children thrive in an environment that provides the modeling behavior of older children, space for movement, and hands-on learning materials.
Grace and courtesy lessons are very important at this stage in a child’s development, as they are learning to function in a social environment.
- Respecting rights and property of others
- Social grace and manners
- Resolving conflict appropriately
- Expressing feelings verbally
- Communicating freely with peers
- Relating well with peers and adults
- Initiating interaction with peers
These years nurture the growth of children’s independence, self-esteem, and self-discipline while introducing children to the basics of academics.
- Accepting new situations
- Exhibiting self control
- Welcoming changes
- Handling stressful situations
- Inner maturation
- Independence & self-direction
- Positive attitude encouraged
- Developing positive self image, self confidence
Study of: living & nonliving
Nutrition, food groups
Rocks and minerals
Three forms of water
Classification of vertebrates (5 classes) and invertebrates
Children learn the phonetic sounds that go with the letter symbols so they can later group letters together, make words, and read.
- Expression of thought
- Group discussion
- Interest in books and stories
- Correct pronunciation
- Initial and final consonants
- Phonetic alphabet and sounds
- Reading: words, sentences, phonograms, beginning reader books
- Writing: pencil grip, control of pencil, forms letters correctly, writes first and last name, write phonetic words, writes sentences and stories.
- Spelling with movable alphabet
- Metal inset work
- Children’s literature Poetry
The Montessori Math Curriculum is the most advanced program available today for young children. Children learn that number symbols have a quantitative meaning. They learn in concrete ways what it means to add on a group of something to another.
- Understands quantity
- Recognizes numerals 0-9
- Counts objects to 9
- Teen work
- Linear counting to 100, 1000
- Skip counting
- Odd and even
- Decimal system work – understanding place value
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division
- Initiating own work
- Respecting materials Expressing joy in discovery
- Welcoming new challenges
- Observing carefully Exhibiting good concentration
- Improving memory retention
- Increasing attention span Persisting at a task
- Developing decision making skills
- Choosing challenging work Completing work cycle
- Learning to work without disturbing others
Children learn to organize their environment, through their senses, for example, sorting sounds into categories of loud or soft.
- Visual discrimination
- Tactile discrimination
- Olfactory discrimination
- Auditory discrimination
- Gustatory discrimination
Children learn about maps, the calendar and clocks, and right and left.
- Geography of the body: left and right
- World map – continents
- Recognizes land and water forms
- North America
- United States
- Foreign maps
- Flags: US and foreign
- Days of the week
- Months of the year
- Awareness of self and others
Wow! This school is a perfect fit for our family. My daughter missed kindergarten cut off by a couple weeks, I was on the fence to send her prior to kindergarten. I went for a school tour, then a observation day and was sold. This has been a great first week. She is all smiles telling us story after story about her day, looking forward to the next. Thank you SQ!
My son just graduated 8th grade from Summit-Questa Montessori School and I couldn’t be more proud, thankful & prepared for high school! My son got an exceptional education, his growth was amazing to watch unfold in this kind, loving & supportive community! I never had the privilige to attend a private or a Montessori school, but I see the difference and I am so thankful my son did! Thank you Ms. Judy & all your amazing teachers & staff! We will miss you all very much! xoxox
Great school. My daughter is incredibly happy. Teachers really care for children. In addition, they always have wonderful field trips.